Once upon a time talking on the Internet with a member of the opposite sex (or same sex if that's your preference) was highly disproved. If one did this it was kept very quiet, it was almost an embarrassment to have to resort to the Internet to find love. It was once a taboo subject, people would arrange to meet up with people and have a code word for friends just in case they ran in to trouble, yet nowadays it's the social norm.
I was in Starbucks the other day and over heard a table of three fairly attractive men discussing the newest people to sign up to pof (aka plenty of fish to all of you out of the loop) they were exchanging notes and giggling over pictures and messages sent. When did this become the new dating scene what happened to catching someone's eye on a train or across a library (yes I watch far too many romantic comedies) and simply saying hello.
Forgive me for wanting the fairy tale but I don't believe someone can sweep you off your feet from the other side of a computer screen?
Anyway against all of this I have in fact signed up. For what purpose I am still a little unsure but regardless my profile is out there.
http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=39530115
"A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone they're not using Facebook or other social media to create false identities, particularly to pursue deceptive online romances."
The above description courtesy of urban dictionary describes a neurotic fear I seem to have developed. What if these fantastic people I am talking to are in fact 60 year old, balding men with more notches in their belt buckle than on their bedpost.
But surely anyone with an online profile is guilty of a little white lie here and there?
Take mine for example, it clearly states I am a carrying a few extra pounds, when in reality a lot of extra pounds may have been a better answer, in my defence there was no option of "eats too much cake"
so does this mean to say I am a modern day catfish?
I have had a cheeky gander at the "competition" out there and am mildly amused at what women deem appropriate in how to sell themselves. I have read countless captions stating "shine bright like a diamond" and the most common quotations comes courtesy of the lovely Marilyn Monroe;
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
I have also seen countless pictures where the norm is to reveal a little skin, scratch that a lot of skin, now is it just me that has deemed it appropriate to be honest and truthful? I have written my profile in the best manner I possibly could, revealing a little about me without giving the game away. I don't wish to mislead as many others appear to, and laugh if you may but I still believe that someone will like me for being me, all my quirky faults and all.
I receive numerous messages a day and I think in the past week or so have replied to just one, I need someone to inspire me to enjoy a conversation and to actually be interested I am not on there to fall in love I am on there to find a common ground and find a friend. A best friend is the basis of any good relationship, and even if a relationship is never brought to the table you always have your friendship.
So to all the girls selling themselves through nudity and false identities and to all the men who deem an appropriate first message being "I'd smash it" kindly think before you hit that send button and come and unbalance my happy medium, I have survived without you in my life so far and I think I'll manage from now on also.
And to everyone else too scared to write a profile or to put themselves out there in the words of Dr Pepper "what's the worst that could happen?" and what have you got to lose. You might surprise yourself with what you find.

No comments:
Post a Comment