Saturday, 12 January 2013


“What does not kill me makes me stronger.” 

(“Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker.”) 


The heart wrenching thought that perhaps things won't get better has haunted me today. I have made decisions in my life I perhaps wouldn't make again, I have grown up far too quickly and have had  experiences in my time to warrant the following description of history;

"History just seems to be one fucking thing after another" 

Now I am not a pessimist and pride myself on my ability to see the optimistic view point in most situations (albeit a small margin of "silver lining") however it saddens me to own up to my disagreement with Friedrich I don't believe his statement to be true, however publicised it has become (thank Kelly Clarkson for that.)

The situations or experiences that may haunt you do not make you stronger this is the hopeful statement people make to you in times of need as a get out of jail free card or escape route. In fact how you over come these situations and the person you are on the other side is down to you. Yes you may have people around you helping you (or rather thinking they are helping when really they are making things worse) you may even been helped along by medication but in reality it is only you who can pick yourself up brush yourself down and politely tell yourself to get the fuck over it.

So Friedrich thank you for your advice and philosophical view point however times change and in my personal opinion your statement is no longer valid. This day and age it is down to the individual, situations can help us grow, teach us a few lessons, even bring us to breaking point, but what they do not do is make us stronger we do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment